Sunday, March 8, 2009

sampling new glass

I needed to get some black powdered glass, so off I went to my local glass supply store. As per usual, once there I found several items I "needed" and walked out with 2 pizza boxes full of new glass!

I got right to work and made a bunch of (soon to be) pendants with this glass but found it tended to devitrify when full fused. I wasn't up to going back to the store and spending a bunch of money on a special spray that is supposed to prevent devitrification but I found a recipe on the net to make my own overspray. After a trip to the grocey store for Borax, I made some more pendants with a light coating of overspray and fired them. But again the glass devitrified (albeit less so than the first batch). I then decided to cap the new glass (which is untested and may not be capability with my fusing glass) with 96 coe clear and found success! A few more bubbles formed within the glass layers than I normally see but I think the pendants turned out quite nice.

Here are a few made with the new glass:









I had some extra space in the kiln during one of the firing so I added a few other pieces. Here are some pendants made with various kinds of dichroic.


And a few made with mosiac tiles

No comments: