Monday, March 23, 2009

donations to a good cause

A friend of mine is a board member for METRAC, The Metropolitan Action Committee on Violence Against Women and Children, which is a not-for-profit, community-based organization that works to prevent and end violence against diverse women, youth, and children.

She asked if I would consider making some glass pieces to be auctioned off at an upcoming charity event and I agreed. This past weekend I made the items and dropped them off at her place. I hear the goods were delivered to the organization's office this morning and is creating quite a stir! The fundraising event takes place this Wednesday in celebration of International Women's Day.

I was also asked to provide some business cards to be given out, so aside from being able to donate to a good cause, I'm also going to get some free advertising at the event. I finally listed some of my jewelry on Etsy so at least I had a web address to direct people to. Check me out at: www.themadkilner.etsy.com. I still have a bunch more items to photograph and list so be sure to check back soon!

Made especially for METRAC:

Dichroic pendant and earring set. Set on a black base is a patterned gold dichroic that reflects green and blue.


This is the translucent red glass (with swirls of clear and deeper red within it) that you've seen before. Anything I've made with this glass has been a big hit - I'm hoping it'll get some oooohsaaahhhs at the event.


More dichroic! This dichroic looks to have a lot of blue and silver (hard to capture in the photos) but reflects a beautiful purple colour with gold edges.


And a set for the more modern tastes. I really like the eclipse of black that surrounds the turquoise in the earrings.


Jewelry trays (using iridescent glass)


And finally, a set of coasters

No comments: