Monday, September 1, 2008

glass fusing is cool

As promised, here are the photos from my class on fused glass pendants. This class was so fun and easy!! Not all the pieces worked out but I had never worked with glass before so it was a learning process for me. I'm thinking of taking the class again...or getting my own kiln so I can make more of these babies. The information for the class specified that we would be able to make 3 pendants and could use different colours and kinds of cut glass, glass bead or paint on designs. It wasn't until the class was nearly done that the instructor mentioned we could make extra pieces at an additional charge. I went crazy and ended up with 8 pieces by the time the class was finished. Of course once I was in the car (and for the next several days) I came up with all sorts of other designs I should have tried and people I should have made a pendant for.

Here are all 8 of the pieces before they went into the kiln


And here they are afterward


This was the first one I made. I really wanted to use the glass beads.


I used a stencil and paint on this one (I tried to free hand a design on one piece but it didn't work out and I washed it off). The stencil stuck to the glass and I had to pick off all the little pieces of paper with a toothpick. Tedious work. Obviously I missed some of the debris as the piece has a air bubble in it! I was dissappointed that that happened but now I think it adds a neat effect.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

they look awesome!! love how they turned out.