Monday, May 26, 2008

May long weekend

I love going to the cottage. There is something so nice about heading out of the city and chilling out beside the water. Since we hadn't been to the cottage yet this summer we were essentially opening up the place. We had to get the water system repaired and going (we actually decided to put in a whole new system rather than fix the old one), rake leaves, mow the lawn and put the dock in the water.


We have a bunch of Trilliums that grow behind our cottages in a wooded area. The Trillium is the national flower of Ontario and it is against the law to pick them. When I was a kid I picked a few and proudly handed them over to my grandmother as a present. She turned around, saw them in my hands and screamed! Not quite the reaction I was looking for. I think she half expected government officials to drop out of the sky and arrest us on the spot. After she calmed down she was able to explain that I wasn't allowed to pick these flowers. Every time I stand beside the cottage looking at these flowers growing under the trees I have to resist the urge to pick them.


Since we were able to get away for an extended long weekend we still had time to relax and go sight-seeing after our work was done. We toured the little towns close by, went to the local cheese factory for some cheese curd and sampled wines at one of the wineries.






No comments: