Wednesday, June 3, 2009

the shattered series

I've really been enjoying making the larger items for my houseware line (plates, bowls, magnets, game boards, etc) but it's taking awhile to fuse everything since I can only get between 1-3 items in the kiln at a time.

I thought I was being pretty clever when it dawned on me that I could just add a second shelf to my kiln and double my fusing space. Well, this was not as straightforward as I thought it would be as the added shelf disrupted heat circulation and my usual firing schedule just wasn't doing what it was supposed to.

On first try the bottom shelf was too low and the items only tack fused. Then I tried elevating the bottom shelf, and in doing that had to elevate the 2nd shelf which put it too close to the element and everything on it over fired.


So now I'm slumping on the bottom of the kiln and doing a full fuse firing at the same time. This is quite helpful, especially since I kept making new items instead of doing a second firing to finish already made items.

Here are the first few items I made for the upcoming market (www. I will be slumping them into a plate mold with a flat bottom and slightly sloped sides.


On a base of red transparent glass topped with off-white opalescent glass that was shattered and reassembled. 8" b8"


A base of bright blue with smashed white glass on top. 5" by 5"


Transparent yellow base with shattered black glass fused on top. 8" by 8"


Transparent deep purple base with off-white broken glass. 5" by 5"

No comments: