Monday, October 13, 2008

final jewelry projects

Happy Thanksgiving everyone (well, for those north of the border anyway)!!

My silversmithing class ended the other week and I'm finally getting around to posting pictures of my final projects. I had SO much fun at this class and am really looking forward to taking more courses. Silversmith level 2 will be starting in December but I don't think I'll be signing up for that. I'd really like to but in order to make it to class on time on Thursday evenings I had to leave work early and speed like a demon from Waterloo into downtown Toronto. I was only late for one class but once winter hits with it's snow, sleet and ice it'll be a whole other story. I think it's best if I wait for spring to take another course. I'm planning to sign up for metal printmaking, which starts in May.

In the metal printmaking course we'll learn how to etch a design onto a steel plate which will then be "roller-printed" onto a silver or copper plate. We'll also be taught other surface techniques such as "paper stamping," "reticulation" and "piercing" used to create handmade filigree. I can't wait!

For my final project I decided to make several silver pendants with an "animal" theme to them. I was planning to give them to my dissertation committee members but now that they are finished I don't want to part with them! I decided to cut out bones and a paw print, as well as make a punched out design (which was harder to line up than I thought, hence the misshaped design).


I kept the 2 bones that I carefully sawed out and soldered them onto a piece of brass for a pendant for me to keep. I wasn't able to get this piece done in class and had to leave it in the pickling solution. I just picked it up on Friday and still need to sand it. There was some slatter/overspill from soldering the 2 metals together so I need to sand that off and then clean up the piece.


I also made a simple brass pendant by punching holes with different sized bits. I tried to give the piece a brushed finish. As simple as this pendant is, I really like it.


And here are my main projects that were completed during the 6 week course.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

those look great! so, what's new with you, dr. L?