Thursday, July 17, 2008

Campus life rocks

What great timing! I decided to head over to the Student Life Centre yesterday on my lunch break and, as luck would have it, I stumbled upon a free noon-hour concert by the uwaterloo orchestra. I happened to arrive during a Mozart piece which was followed by Brahms and Strauss - so beautifully played. I figured this group was part of one of the music programs here on campus but when I looked them up online I was surprised to find out that they are an extracurricular ensemble open to students, staff, faculty and alumni.


The view from my office window, the building
across the pond is the Student Life Centre


After the concert I decided to go to the lower level of the SLC to get a drink and/or snack from the store there and came upon a Farmer's Market set-up in the courtyard! Two surprises in one day! There was an assortment of fresh fruit, vegetables, herbs, preserves, jams and honeys as well as fresh baked goods. I bought some wonderfully fragrant basil, two loaves of bread (italian loaf, and a multigrain type) and a chiabatta bun for the walk back to my office. The market will be back next week (every Thursday from mid-June to the end of July). I've decided I will go back and get some homemade honey and jam.

What fun! I'm really going to have to make an effort to find out all that goes on campus so I don't miss out on these events.

Here's the building I work in, and the Heron that hangs out in the pond

No comments: